Serious gaming as an innovative means for handling complexity in flood risk reduction
MetadataShow full item record
- FLOODrisk2020 
AbstractFlood risk reduction has always been vital to the Netherlands. The complexity that flood risk managers are facing has grown over time and is expected to do so due to developments of new knowledge, methods, innovations and data science. To fulfill their statutory responsibility, flood risk managers are urged to make progress reducing flood risk. Uncertainty how to handle the complexity, lack of data and experience to use more complex knowledge, and intransparency of the benefits of the new opportunities and tools, hampers the utilization and implementation of the risk based safety policy. Reflection is therefore needed about the roles and capacities of organizations and individual professionals in the Dutch risk management system. Meanwhile, the scientific literature and educational/training programmes suggest that serious gaming is an effective instrument to support individuals and organisations with dealing with complexity. Therefore, we explore the added value of serious gaming to enhance flood defence asset management in this paper. The objectives are threefold: 1) to identify lessons about dealing with complexity in current asset management practice for flood defence systems; 2) to analyse to which extent serious gaming can be helpful and 3) to develop a set of requirements for a serious game to enhance flood defence asset management in the Netherlands.
- Serious gaming as an innovative means for handling complexity in flood risk reduction
- Heijer, Frank den
- Rijke, Jeroen S.
- Rial, Maria Barciela
- Date of issue
- Access level
- Open access
- Copyright owner
- Full or partial reprint or use of the papers is encouraged, subject to due acknowledgement of the authors and its publication in these proceedings. The copyright of the research resides with the authors of the paper, with the FLOODrisk consortium.
- Conference title
- FLOODrisk 2020 - 4th European Conference on Flood Risk Management
- Conference place
- Conference date
- assetmanagement, serious game, complexity
- Kiadói változat
- DOI: 10.3311/FloodRisk2020.14.9
- Title of the container document
- Science and practice for an uncertain future
- Document type
- Document genre