The failure probability of grass erosion due to wave overtopping. A case study of the Afsluitdijk, The Netherlands
MetadataShow full item record
Link to refer to this document:
- FLOODrisk2020 
AbstractWave overtopping is one of main failure mechanism of flood protective structures. Experiments and numerical simulations have shown that transitions are weak spots for cover erosion. Transitions in geometry and in bed roughness affect the cover erosion significantly by local deceleration and acceleration of the flow. This paper presents a method to compute the critical average overtopping discharge for a complex dike geometry, including transition, applied to the Afsluitdijk case study. The results show that although the critical overtopping discharge decreases with increasing wave height, the sensitivity of the critical overtopping discharge for wave height decreases for higher waves. This is shown for both the COM and the VE-TM models for all locations along the dike’s cross section. Although further validation of both models is needed for a wider range of dike configurations, the results show that both models are able to probabilistically assess grass erosion based on the critical overtopping discharge for complex dike geometries, including transitions.
- The failure probability of grass erosion due to wave overtopping. A case study of the Afsluitdijk, The Netherlands
- Warmink, Jord J.
- Bergeijk, Vera M. van
- Kriebel, Martijn
- Trul, Hizkia
- Kuiper, Coen
- Hulscher, Suzanne J. M. H.
- Date of issue
- Access level
- Open access
- Copyright owner
- Full or partial reprint or use of the papers is encouraged, subject to due acknowledgement of the authors and its publication in these proceedings. The copyright of the research resides with the authors of the paper, with the FLOODrisk consortium.
- Conference title
- FLOODrisk 2020 - 4th European Conference on Flood Risk Management
- Conference place
- Conference date
- wave overtopping, flood protection, dike cover strength
- Kiadói változat
- DOI: 10.3311/FloodRisk2020.1.22
- Title of the container document
- Science and practice for an uncertain future
- Document type
- Document genre